Friday 13 November 2015

Autumnal Spiced Toffee Apple Cake | Bilgi Bakes

It's Autumn, the leaves are falling, the weather is getting colder, the evenings darker and I have started to wear Christmas jumpers. I love Autumn / Winter and in true celebratory style for this fabulous time of the year, I've been baking Spiced Toffee Apple Cake. It's so festive with all the mixed spice and dates in it, and I guarantee your house will smell sublime if you bake this. No scented candle could possibly compete!
 
 
I love tray baking and then cutting the bake into bars! This recipe made 9 (super generous!) spicy slices.

 
To make this festive masterpiece you will need:
 
200g dates, roughly chopped
200ml milk, plus a splash
140g butter/margarine, softened, plus extra for greasing
280g self-raising flour
200g brown sugar
½ tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
1 tbsp mixed spice
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 small red apples
handful of toffees
icing sugar, for snowfall

I used a BBC Good Food recipe which I fount online and slightly modified a couple of the proportions according to what I had in my house!

 
Simmer the milk and dates in a pan so that the dates soften and are easier to blend. Blend the mixture and add to the sugar and margarine, eggs, spice and extract. Gradually add the flour once they are combined and smooth.
 
Then once your mixture is placed into a rectangular tray, which has been lined with baking parchment, add the thin slices of your apples. It's easiest if you cut the apples into quarters first and then cut your slices from there. I arranged them so that each individual slice got four thin slices of overlapping apple on the top.

 
 

Definitely rustle yourself a batch of these up if you find yourself with a moment to spare over the weekend. I'd highly recommend them! The toffees are to make an optional toffee sauce to drizzle over, which you simply make by putting toffees and a splash of milk in a pan and gently heating, stirring constantly. I made some last night and it was delicious! The cake has a caramelised flavour anyway though, due to the brown sugar and rich mixed spice. Autumnal love!
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN | TUMBLR 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Coconut Couture | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig