Saturday 15 April 2017

Bilgi Bakes | Blonde & Brunette Battenberg Cake


So tomorrow is Easter and to celebrate such an occasion, I thought it the perfect opportunity to whisk up something oh-so sweet and also try and make something that I had not yet attempted. I think my favourite thing to bake is cake, as there are so many varieties of it so it can be different every time. My last baking post was a recipe for Uber decadent Millionnaire's Shortbread which is also a firm favourite, so you can check that out too if you're in a sweet tooth kind of mood. So, for this recipe post I've decided to put an Easter twist on a traditional Battenberg cake. How can it be 'Easter-ified' you may be wondering. Well, I have replaced the usually pink checkerboard with a chocolate one instead, because I'm thinking chocolate will be featuring quite heavily in many people's diets tomorrow and Monday, as the Easter eggs get cracked open! (I couldn't resist that one!)

 
Recipe
150g self raising flour
30g ground almonds
2 organic eggs
110g butter or margerine
1 heaped table spoon coco powder
vanilla extract
splash of milk
white marzipan
apricot jam
 
Kit
cake tin
baking parchment
electric whisk
 
How To
1. This recipe is really easy to follow because it's the 'all in one' method. Basically, you put all the ingredients in the bowl (minus the coco powder) and whisk until it forms a good 'cakey' consistency.
 
2. Once you've done that, split the mix in two and add the coco powder to one of the halves. Then place the 'blonde' and 'brunette' sides next to each other in the tin and level with a knife. Note: it doesn't matter that they meet in the middle because that's the bit you can 'test' when it comes out the oven!
 
3. Allow to cool and then begin the assembly. Cut each half in half again so that you have 4 pieces then cover each edge with apricot jam. Then sandwich the pieces in alternate 'blonde' and 'brunette' colour order and cover with marzipan. All you need to do with that is roll it out on a well icing sugar coated surface. Then score the top and dust with more icing and your Battenberg is complete!



Be sure to tag me on my Instagram if you decide to give this cake a whirl, I'd like to see what you come up with! Easter baking love, Bilgi x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Coconut Couture | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig